This is our story...
Gledswood Homestead & Winery
Founded circa 1810
Step back in time to a stunning historic venue.
Imagine stepping back into Australian history as you arrive at Gledswood Homestead & Winery – a beautiful property that offers you the perfect location for special events, conferences, weddings, wine tasting, celebrations, family fun, and more!
The venue offers three function spaces plus our convict-built cellar door, with an onsite catering team who will work with you to create your dream event. Established circa 1810, our history and venue are rich, beautiful, and interesting – we look forward to sharing that with you.
This is the story of Gledswood. Let's start from the beginning...
Gledswood is a heritage-listed former vineyard, colonial farm and homestead. The original building on the property was the convict lock-up, built in 1810 by the first owner, Gabriel Louis Marie Huon de Kerilleau.
Huon de Kerilleau left France and fled to England during the French Revolution. He joined the New South Wales Corps and arrived in Sydney under the name Gabriel Louis in the 'Surprise' on October 1794. He was discharged in 1807 and because of his knowledge and fluency in French, he became the tutor to John Macarthur's sons. Governor Macquarie granted him the 400 acres (162ha) which became Buckingham; as from 1 January 1810.
The main homestead was built from 1827 to 1855 by James Chisholm. It is originally known as Buckingham.
James Chisholm renamed the property "Gledswood", and it was he who, in about 1827, finished the main homestead. Chisholm had been involved in the rum trade in the early days of the colony. He was friendly with John Macarthur, who farmed nearby at Camden Park. They shared an interest in the wine industry, which flourished in the district.
Chisholm's son James planted a vineyard in 1830.
James Chisholm's son, James II (Jas), planted its vineyard c. 1830. The Macarthurs of Camden Park were friends of the Chisholms and loaned their six German vine dressers to the Chisholms on occasions. Frederick and Anna Worner worked the vineyard with their six children. Jas Chisholm and his new wife Elizabeth quickly had Gledswood performing well. Besides the vineyard, they ran a fine herd of cattle and developed many breeds of sheep. Chisholm's wool brought the highest prices on the market. The estate had its own butcher shop, a great orchard and house cows which produced milk and cream.
Gledswood was extensively renovated during the c.1870s and was noted for its outstanding garden which was expanded by Charles Kinghorne Chisholm and described in the Horticultural Magazine (1870) in the same year that Maryland was featured. The garden remained a prominent feature of Gledswood and was romanticised by Hardy Wilson c. 1920. Much like Camden Park Estate, Gledswood has close association with the historical Camden district and for its involvement in pioneering Australia's wool industry.
In 1972 an area of 15 hectares (38 acres) was subdivided from Gledswood. Gledswood has been developed by the Testoni family as a tourist farm with a reduced farm curtilage.
An area of 10 hectares (25 acres) was transferred to Camden Council. The sale between the Testoni’s and the Hordens was completed.
Through the 1980s various changes occurred at Gledswood and new structures were constructed on the property to develop the function venue and cellar door.
Count Gabriel Louis Marie Huon de Kerilleau sold the property to James Chisholm for 250 pounds and moved to a new property at Bungonia, near the future site of Goulburn. His son, Paul Huon, became a pioneer in the Wodonga district.
Upon receiving a land grant on Cowpastures rural downs in 1829, James and Elizabeth Chisholm built Gledswood in 1830. A large stuccoed rubble stone house was built in the style of an Indian bungalow with an attached kitchen wing and a nearby barn. The property remained in the Chisholm family for the next 90 years.
Gledswood comprised 1000 acres by 1850. Jas once wrote, "there is much about the vine that renders it an attractive pursuit". The convict cellar built under the 90 square meter main house was capable of holding 20,000 bottles. James planted the estate's famous garden and his son James II developed them further.
When the Testoni brothers bought the property in 1971 from Anthony Hordern, a condition of sale was that they would re-establish its winery. This proved very successful. The Testoni family established 60 hectares (150 acres) of grapes, mainly classical varieties (Traminer, Trebbiano, Semillon, Barbera, Mataro, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Cabernet Savignon). They also established a small herd of cattle for making cheese.
The estate was subdivided roughly in half. The Testoni’s were competing with bottle shops on every street corner, so to diversify, they added Wine Appreciation Dinners. Fermentation tanks were removed from sheds, tables, chairs and a bar were installed. This was an instant success... huge steaks, salads, sweets and wine talk.
An area of 400 hectares (990 acres) was subdivided from Gledswood for the El Caballo Blanco equestrian enterprise.
Gledswood was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 22 December 2006.